Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Catalysts

A few days ago I was listening to podcast 1223 of Freedomain Radio where Stefan Molyneux explained what he thinks the life cycle of empires and what he calls modern free range empires. I do not know that much about history aside from American history; however, his argument seems to have some truth. I was a little hung up at first when he classified America as an empire. It is always something that I thought was incorrect because America does not actually expand its territory in the sense of traditional empires like Rome. Often times when I heard people claiming America was an empire, they were just continuing on an irrational rant and the only evidence they had was that America controlled Puerto Rico, the American Samoans, etc. However, Molyneux clarified the position by defining modern empires as free range empires, meaning the modern governments utilize individuals across the globe to serve their own ends. This made more sense to me. Even though America does not have a traditional empire with its flag on every spot of land, the government does try to control global activities. Some good examples are in the past when the United States governments installed dictators like the Shah of Iran. Seriously, completely unrelated to its original job description of protecting the natural rights of those residing within its borders. Not only does the American government involve itself in completely unrelated activities across the globe, but by doing so it violates the natural rights of those not residing within its borders. Of course, this is not to say the American government does not violate the natural rights of its own residents. This was just to clarify the definition of America as a free range empire. Not any better than the original, but not exactly the same either. 

Anyway, at one point in his argument I laughed a little. He argued that the life cycle of empires including free range empires is as follows: 

1) The government allows its residents to practice some of their natural rights.

2) This liberty allows the individuals to create and invent. 

3) The individuals become increasingly productive and earn increasingly more wealth.

4)  The government increases taxes to acquire some of the wealth these individuals have earned.

5) The increased taxation causes the government to become larger.

6) The larger government invariably violates the individuals natural rights. Additionally, the government violates some of these natural rights as an attempt to control the individuals in such a way they think will produce more wealth, which means the government can acquire more through taxation.

7) Finally, the individuals get annoyed with this system and causes the government to collapse or decline. Obviously, there are several options at this point.

8) The individuals create something new, which is actually just another variation of government. Thus the cycle repeats itself. 

Therefore, currently America is on the decline. It is around step 6. The income tax was established early in the 1900's. The government has continued to grow with lots of superfluous departments and agencies. Taxes increased to support this. Now there is the emergency of the Nanny State to make citizens healthier. There are also an inordinate amount of regulations to try and make American businesses more productive. 

This is when I laughed a little. I have recognized a sort of decline of America, and I know the only way to reverse that trend or slow it is for America to become more isolationist, but with trade. Essentially, alliances with none, free trade with all. The American government needs to withdraw from its global games, allow its businesses to trade with whoever, and only shoot those trying to shoot at at those within America's borders. Of course, that does not solve all the problems. I am really not interested in trying to implement that trend because natural rights will still be interested. I just recognize that if individuals are interested in reversing or slowing America's decline that is what they have to do. I thought this before listening to this podcast, and it appears to fit Molyneux's argument. However, the reason I laughed is that, at least here at my college, several individuals, probably the majority, also think America is on the decline. The majority of the students are more liberal, and they think America is on the decline because of its global games, but also because it is not humanitarian enough on an international level. I used to be Republican back in high school, so I know the conservatives think America is on the decline because it appears weak. They want less humanitarianism and more military activity. They are simply tired of losses and draws like Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm. The reason I laughed is because they are both wrong, and no matter which one is in office, they will be accelerating the American government towards step 7. International humanitarianism enforced by a government means increased taxation and infringement of natural rights for the unfortunate in other countries. It means conscription to fight genocidal dictators and to "keep peace." Tougher military action does not mean the protection of American residents' natural rights. It means the violation of natural rights of those in other countries. Once again, increased taxation on American residents, and conscription. It also means more security, more bag checks, more metal detectors, more violations of American residents natural rights for their own safety. Each of them think that their actions are slowing or reversing the American government's decline, but both of them are steepening the nose dive. They really have no idea what they are doing. 

I think part of the reason is that they cannot think of a world without government. They really would not know what to do with themselves. Government was supposed to provide protection from murderers and thieves so individuals could live their lives as they pleased. Government is now an obsession. Government is life. Therefore, they cannot recognize my understanding of less government. That is crazy to them. No regulations. They think the world will descend into Thomas Hobbes state of nature. Of course, if they thought about it they would realize Hobbes was wrong. The war of all against all does not exist unless individuals want it too. However, without recognizing it, that is what they accelerating towards: no government; the exact opposite of what they want, and that makes me laugh a little. 

5 comments:

Stefan Molyneux said...

Thanks for your kind words, you might enjoy my video on the subject as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P772Eb63qIY

Anonymous said...

You know what, Steven? I think you're right [I rarely come out and directly say that]--especially about the part of international hummanitarianism. I think it's definatly a positive thing if it CAN be enforced, but realistically, it would be better it something like the UN monitored most of that end, or if one department and one department ONLY delt with it as a seperate enterprise. I'd like to dropkick some kids on campus who go around expecting American Government to solve all world problems. It's just not feasible. . .

Dave said...

I became quite restless. I could see no reason why I should, at the end of each week, pour the reward of my toil into the purse of my master. When I carried to him my weekly wages, he would, after counting the money, look me in the face with a robber-like fierceness, and ask, "Is this all?" He was satisfied with nothing less than the last cent. He would, however, when I made him six dollars, sometimes give me six cents, to encourage me. It had the opposite effect. I regarded it as a sort of admission of my right to the whole. The fact that he gave me any part of my wages was proof, to my mind, that he believed me entitled to the whole of them. I always felt worse for having received any thing; for I feared that the giving me a few cents would ease his conscience, and make him feel himself to be a pretty honorable sort of robber.
-Fredrick Douglas

LSBF consultant said...

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

Black Smith said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would
leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading.
Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Surgical instruments
Dental Instruments
Beauty instruments